Tuesday, April 1, 2014

CARROT HALWA / GAJAR HALWA / DESSERT

Carrot Halwa is a traditional Punjabi dish. I don't know why but my mom never made this is in home, so i tasted this in buffets along with Ice cream and it tastes awesome. I liked it very much but I never thought of preparing it in home. Here in Sweden they are selling large amount of root vegetables ( like beet root, potato, carrots, turnip) and frequently they are giving offers on these vegetables but a single pack contains 2 Kg to 5 Kg of vegetables not less than that. Now you can guess why most of my posted recipes are related to carrot :). Yes I always have more than a Kg of carrots in my kitchen, I thought of finishing it soon and so comes the delicious recipe Carrot Halwa, I prepared this for the first time along with my neighbors and we had it hot hot during day time chit chat. ( I know it is very hot summer in India, but here in Sweden it is just a 3 degree) Yeah of course DH surprised to see a new recipe when he is back from office ;)



Here comes the recipe,



Ingredients:

  • Carrot             2 Cups ( Grated)
  • Almond           10 Nos
  • Cashew           10 Nos
  • Milk                1 Cup
  • Sugar              1/2 Cup
  • Ghee               3 tblsp
Instructions:

1) Fry cashew and almonds in Ghee.

2)Grind few fried Cashew and Almond and Keep it aside.



3) In a pan add ghee ( you can also use the same ghee which you used to fry dry nuts) , add grated carrot and saute it for 3 minutes.

 
4) Add a cup of milk to the carrot, mix it well  and cook it in medium flame until the milk gets thick by stirring constantly then add powdered cashew & almond to the carrot milk mixture and mix well.
 



5)  At this point add sugar, stir well for 3 more minutes and that's it.




6) Now you can transfer the halwa to your bowl and serve it hot.




Note:

1) In requirement I have mentioned only 1/2 cup of sugar, it gives medium but normal sweet if you want more sweet just increase the amount of sugar, but taste it before adding sugar.

2) After adding milk to the carrot I pressure cooked it for 2 whistles but that is not needed, cooking the carrots until the milk gets thick is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment